Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Where does a book idea come from? The origin of the Soulkind Series.

I've written plenty of stories in my life, but only a few that I've taken the time to really flesh out for a novel. What was it about this idea that held me captive for so many years? What was the seed for "The Soulkind Awakening?"
Yes, the original green stone is in my Lord of the Rings container...

Way back to 1995, my friend Chris and I went on a winter break trip to Europe. Yes, it was a really cold time of year to visit, but it happened. We visited Germany, France, Austria, and the Czech Republic. This was my first time to Europe and it was really humbling to be next to things that were VERY old. I mean, the oldest gravestones I'd ever seen in the U.S. went back to the 1800s, but the castles and tombs I saw out there blew any sense of "old" I had away. 

Out of all of the spots we visited, Prague ended up being the most beautiful city I've ever seen. It was, for some reason, like I had come home. I remember one day Czech-ing things out all alone and found myself under this really unique tree overlooking the Charles Bridge. 
My only picture I have of it from '95. I should scan this somewhere.

Ok this is a photo I found online. MUCH better. Apparently is called "Strom u Czerne veze"
As I sat under this tree in silence, gazing out upon a frozen city, I was speechless. I let the memory wash over me. This was unlike anything I had had ever seen in my life. I happened upon a small stone on the top of that level there, nothing special mind you, just a memento that I then picked up, rubbed my fingers over, and placed it in my jacket pocket. 

I thought nothing of this stone again until many months later after returning to the states. Back in Rochester I put my winter coat on again (maybe it was May... you still need a winter coat in May there) and put my hand into a pocket where suddenly I touched the stone I found by that tree in Prague. As I felt it in my palm, I was suddenly back in Prague. The memory flashed past my eyes as if I were there again. It was quite surreal. 

Little did I know, but that was the seed for the Soulkind series. If you've read the story, you know a certain character keeps a rock collection. Not for the rocks themselves, but for the memories they contain. If he has an experience he wants to remember, he picks up a rock and mentally imprints the moment there. If he wants to remember it, he only has to touch the stone again and the memory comes back in a flash. 

The problem is, this character has a stone in his possession that he has no memory of how he obtained it. 

What is it that has been a "seed" for a story? Have you let it grow? Or just let it sit somewhere for "another day?" Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment